Join a community of ethical travelers. Please read the Code of Ethics then scroll down to the very bottom of the page and sign below (Name, Country, Comment) in the ‘Leave a Reply’ field.
Today I will commit to the notion that when traveling I will see myself as the privileged guest and ambassador of my own country. I will take responsibility for my actions and accept that every choice I make has both its adverse consequences and positive outcomes. Thus, with integrity, humility and genuine desire, I will foster and promote a more ethical style of travel by:
Cultivating an Exchange of Knowledge by:
- Researching the destination’s culture, customs, language, religions, history, geography, and people before arriving;
- Continually make an effort to learn the language while I am visiting;
- Sharing information to my hosts and other travelers about my home country’s characteristics, customs, geography, people, and language(s).
Contributing to and Promoting Ethical and Environmentally Friendly Alternatives by:
- Supporting only local initiatives, and participating in those tourism products that are local and / or aim to support the local community economically and through social programs (this includes tour companies, hotels, and restaurants);
- Purchasing goods that are produced and sold locally at a fair price and assuring that those good are not products of illegal activities and / or important symbols of the host’s culture;
- Reducing my environmental footprint through maintaining a conscious awareness of how my actions will affect the host’s valuable resources.
Volunteering and Social Activism by:
- Promising to make an effort to participate, at my own expense, in activities that aim to restore and preserve the environment as well as those that aid or bring an extra bit of happiness to those less fortunate;
- Advocating those companies and organizations who support and provide ethical and community based tourism products and services;
- Making a stand against sex tourism, through reporting any illegal activities to local authorities and supporting those projects that have put forth the effort to fight against it.
Protecting and Respecting Culture by:
- Researching and practicing cultural etiquettes to the highest level of my ability, as well as, teaching and informing other travelers around me;
- Using my camera in a way that is sensitive to the peoples and cultures around me. Further I promise to never take a picture of someone without politely asking first;
- Being aware that in my pursuit to find something ‘untouched by tourism’ I may be the one stretching the boundaries of tourism’s negative impacts and harmful effects.
Commit by filling in the fields below with your name, where you’re from, and, if you wish, leaving a comment. Thank you!